High-Risk Pregnancy Factors & Solutions Overview
Ensuring that your pregnancy completes a full-term, and you deliver a healthy baby, is the cornerstone of our aim at Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center. High Risk pregnancy cases, which can cause complications during pregnancy, or during childbirth, require a very different kind of care, which our specialists are trained to diagnose and treat.
A critical part of managing high-risk pregnancies can ascertain the cause, or the risk factors that can cause complication. High-risk pregnancy factors can broadly be split into four different categories. This include:
- Maternal age
- Lifestyle choices
- Pregnancy conditions
- Medical history
High risk pregnancies can be diagnosed in a number of ways by a medical practitioner. The below tests will help in the identification of high risk pregnancy problems, and will be prescribed by your doctor depending on your condition or symptoms.
- Ultrasounds – A number of ultrasounds are used for high risk pregnancy diagnosis. These include targeted ultrasounds, which can construct an image of your child in the womb, and target a suspected issue, like an abnormal fetal development.
- Blood Testing – A routine blood test may also be diagnosed, as it can indicate that you have an underlying condition, such as gestational hypertension. This can place you and your child at risk, and will require prenatal monitoring and treatment.
- Urinalysis – Conditions like preeclampsia can be diagnosed through this test, as it can detect excess protein in the u
Signs and Symptoms
When you learn that you are pregnant, consult your doctor about the possibility of a high-risk pregnancy. Openly discuss any pre-existing medical conditions, how they can be managed and the possible consequences on the same on labour and delivery. Our expert team at Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center has laid out some of the signs and symptoms of high-risk pregnancy to look out for.
If you experience any of the following signs of high-risk pregnancy, it is essential to get immediate medical attention:
- You lose consciousness – It wouldn’t be possible for you to take any action in this situation. Brief your partner, neighbour or colleague in advance of what to do in such a situation
- You experience vaginal bleeding
- You experience unbearable pain in your pelvis or belly
- You have fluid leaking from your vagina – This could be because the umbilical cord is bulging into your vagina. Call for emergency help immediately. Meanwhile, get down on your knees so that your rear end (buttocks) is higher than your head. This will help reduce the pressure on the cord until help arrives.
If you are planning to get pregnant, it is natural that you would want to take every measure possible to prevent a high-risk pregnancy. At Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center, we constantly emphasise that by practicing healthy behaviour and undertaking tests early, you can minimize the chance of a high-risk pregnancy. A high-risk pregnancy problems occurs due to one or more of the following reasons:
- A pre-existing medical condition in the mother such as diabetes or hypertension
- A pregnancy-related problems that lead to complications such as premature labour
- Age of the expecting mother, and,
- Lifestyle disorders
High-Risk Pregnancy Treatment
Depending on the risk factors that you are diagnosed with, high-risk pregnancy treatment will be prescribed. At Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center, we are well-equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure and a highly skilled and experienced team of professionals to give you the best possible care for every type of high-risk pregnancy situation.
Listed below are some common methods of treatment of high-risk pregnancies:
- Gestational Diabetes – This condition can increase the risk of complications in pregnancy. However, you can have a healthy pregnancy and birth by following a diet and treatment plan prescribed by a doctor.
- High blood pressure – During pregnancy, some changes to blood pressure medication may be recommended. Lifestyle changes such as limiting salt intake and regular exercise may also be prescribed for the treatment of this condition.
- Pre-eclampsia – If you are experiencing mild symptoms, bed rest may be prescribed. You may also be asked to take vitamins E and C. Generally, this condition ends post-delivery.
Why Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Centre
High risk pregnancies need expert hands. We at Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center have all the skillful expertise to always care you and your little one. In high risk pregnancy there is increased risk of health crisis for you and your baby. To detect the problems and manage them in advance, at Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center‘s experts are more watchful than usual when your pregnancy is at risk.
Bhubaneswar Fetal Medicine Center‘s expertise is always helpful in giving the special care and attention for a high risk pregnancy in the following ways:
- Usage of advanced imaging techniques for diagnosing the medical abnormalities in the unborn babies, detailed image study of the fetus is obtained for accurate diagnosis and planning the appropriate treatment strategies.
- Treating the fetus during pregnancy, and ensuring the positive long-term outcomes for the unborn, creating a personalized care plan before and after the delivery and the newborn period
- Offering patient education on high-risk deliveries and postnatal care, as a course of prenatal service, the expert team prepares you for the next steps of the pregnancy, by supporting and minimizing the stress in the mother and the family members.